Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Curtains aren't my forte...

Overall I would say that curtains are easy as pie... Just a few squares or rectangles of fabric gathered at the top by curtain tape. However, one must not overlook the difficulty of getting the length right, both with the main fabric and the lining... I recently bought a pair of original 1950s curtains from the larger one of my local antique shops for only £10 (the linings are a bit ripped in places). I knew they'd be too short for the window but knew it would look great with a border added on the bottom to add the appropriate length.

Firstly, they ended up sitting in a bag a amongst a pile of fabric for about 2 months due to me not being able to get to my sewing machine, except for Sunday's for an hour of two, due to other commitments. (They're were other projects waiting in line before I could start on the curtains as well).

Secondly, when I did cut the borders I managed to cut them too short... Only realising once I'd attached them to the curtains, 2 months after cutting the borders...

Thankfully I had enough of the border fabric left to re-cut some longer ones. If course, I needed to add length to the linings as well. Thankfully, I pick up curtains from charity shops a lot because I'll use the main fabric as dress fabric (so much cheaper). So I had a load of curtain linings I could cut up and use.

However, the linings were the worst things I've ever sewn... I had to re-adjust them about 5 times!! They just wouldn't hang correctly and kept on dragging out at the bottom, showing beneath the main pretty curtain fabric! I got there in the end. They're definitely not perfect. But, seriously? I couldn't give a damn after the hours spent on them! They look pretty enough and that's all that matters.

I should of taken before photos, of when they didn't have the added borders, but it just didn't cross my mind at the time. Anyway, here's the finished photos...


They're not the best photos but it was stupidly difficult to get any better, I'm afraid.




No comments:

Post a Comment