Sunday, August 3, 2014

1940s Style Wrap Dress.

So remember this 1940s sewing pattern and vintage fabric I was on about a week it so ago?



Well I managed to finish my version of it a few days ago (in time to wear it to Helmingham Hall Festival of Classic and Sports Cars today - photos will be up on the blog sometime in the next few days, I took a gazillion!)

This is how I styled it and how it came out...


So this is the front. It wasn't actually meant to be a real wrap dress, according to the sewing instructions but I wanted it to be badly because I'm obsessed with them and find them so easy to wear! It was just meant to fasten a bit above the waist with some snaps and just gave the tie belt as an effect. However, I used my knowledge from making a few 1950s reproduction wrap blouses to turn it into a real wrap dress and not have the snaps on the bodice.

Outfit details:-
1940s green brooch given to me for free because the shop was closing down and I was buying a 1940s suit;
1980s gold and white floral brooch thrifted last week for 75p;
1950s fruit necklace gift from ex;
Earrings stolen from mumma;
Hair flower from Accessorise couple of years ago;
Dress made by me (obviously).



Here's a close-up of the contrasting parts. Look at how cute that patch pocket is!


This is the back.

Overall I am very pleased with how this has turned out. However, while I was out wearing it today there was a bit of a breeze and I ended up having to constantly hold the skirt part down, otherwise, I would of ended up flashing everyone! So maybe I'll wear a slip underneath it next time...





2 comments:

  1. Neat work, a very chic 1940s style ensemble!

    ReplyDelete