Friday, November 16, 2012

I'm dyeing...

...fabric! Aha. I'm too funny... ;-) So anyway, this week I learnt about it. I mean, I'd dyed fabric before, so this process wasn't anything new to me. However, we conducted an experiment as a class, to see how the length of time that fabric spends in dye effects the intensity of the colour. I hadn't done this before.

Afterwards, I tried out screen printing with "pigment and binder". I cut out stencils of pattens that were influenced by my Monday module sketchbook work, and printed with these (the sae sort of process as discharge printing). I stuck to my colour theme by using a red pigment. I like the outcomes, but I don't like how messy the process is (just like discharge printing).

Pigment and binder mixture.



Screen printing.




I also attended a lecture on 'The Skill of the Maker' - "Making is the most powerful way that we solve problems". It explained how important art and design are.

Annnnd I learnt how to use 'punch cards' on the knitting machines. I couldn't quite get the hang of it at first, but after a while, I understood the process and really like the results of the samples I produced.

Example of a punch card.



Example of what it creates. Admittedly, mine didn't turn out quite as big and perfect....

No comments:

Post a Comment