Friday, November 23, 2012

Through the hoop.

So this week I learnt to embroider! I've only ever done simple and short sessions of embroidery work before, in GCSE Textiles, so using the 'emboss machine' and 'free machine embroidery foot' on a domestic sewing machine were new experiences to me.

This is what the emboss machine creates (maybe one day I'll be able to create something like this!) The machine has lots of needles bundled together and as the go through the fabric, the material "fluffs up". If you put another fabric underneath, the needles will make the bottom fabric "fluff up" through the top material. This is how the example below was produced.



And this is what the free machine embroidery foot on a domestic sewing machine can create (if one is skilled enough, which isn't me!)



For my Friday 'Introduction to Textile Applications' module, I experimented with a variety of hand embroidery stitches. I'll use this knowledge to develop patterns in my sketchbooks, and work into my samples of knitting and screen printing. (I've gone with a "fruity theme" for this module, so I'll be using citrus coloured embroidery thread!)

Just before I finish this week's post, look at these vintage embroidered beauties! Can I have all of them please? ;-)











No comments:

Post a Comment