Friday, November 9, 2012

Knit one, purl one.

As you can probably guess from the title of this post, I've mostly been doing knitting this week. But not in the usual way... I've been using one of these...



In case you can't tell what it is, it's a knitting machine (or a whole bunch of 'em, to be honest :-P). Before this week, I'd never used a knitting machine. So at the start, I felt pretty negative about using one and couldn't work out all the different stitches, and how to set up the machine for them. However, by the end of this week, I feel I've really improved and feel much more confident in my abilities. I've got to say though, I much prefer hand knitting and find it much more relaxing!

This week's lecture was about 'Sensory Research Methods'. It was read out by 'Laura Jackson-Wills'' and it was interesting to hear the different processes she went through to create her 'final piece' for her own studies. The lecture helped me understand how I should conduct research, get inspiration and create work from all of this. I related to the nostalgia and "Englishness" she spoke about because I visit the places that were mentioned and I'm a big fan of "looking at the past" and "being English" (mostly by drinking lots of tea and eating lots of cake :-P).




After the lecture, there was a seminar where we talked about how many mainstream retail shops, like 'Topshop', 'Claire's' and 'Next' copy high-end fashion designers. For instance, Next copied the prints from 'Prada's' autumn/winter 2012 collection...

Next.



Prada.



...and Claire's have previously copied some of 'Tatty Devine's' jewellery designs. (Obviously the ones without tags on are Tatty Devine).

No comments:

Post a Comment