Friday, October 12, 2012

In the beginning....


I am writing this blog to show my development over the period of 3 years of my Fashion and Textiles course.

How did I feel about starting? I was super nervous and not sure what to expect. Why did I choose to enrol on the course? Because I want to form a career in the fashion world and have my own shop with beautiful vintage inspired clothes in.

During this first week I learnt how to use the different sewing machines. When I was told I'd be taking part in a "sewing machine workshop" I thought it wouldn't teach me anything me because I've been sewing and making my own clothes for many years. However, I'm really pleased I attended because I had never used an industrial sewing machine before today, and so I've learnt how much stronger and more powerful they are than domestic sewing machines. I still prefer my vintage 1950s Singer one though! ;-)



I also created some prints using black drawing ink and bleach. Basically, I painted black ink onto paper, let it dry, and then made marks by dipping different objects (like a fork, earplug or corregated cardboard) into bleach and dragging them across the paper. I can only remember printing with paint and dyes before, so I definitely learnt a new technique! I didn't know that bleach could be used in such a way either.
I didn't manage to take any photos of my work, but this is the sort of thing.... (Unknown artist).



Although I wish it was something more like this.... It was created using gouache paint and tea staining, along with the bleach and drawing ink. (Unknown artist).

No comments:

Post a Comment