Friday, October 26, 2012

William Morris and all that jazz.

This week, I attended a lecture on the 'History of Art and Design'. 'William Morris' and 'John Ruskin' were 2 of the artists mentioned during the lecture. I'm a fan of William Morris' work, but have only vaguely heard of John Ruskin.

'Jasmine' (1872) by William Morris.



'Illustration for The Stones of Venice' (1853) by John Ruskin.



Other points that were mentioned during the lecture:-

  • The 'Arts and Crafts Movement' - I'm a fan of this, and how much it "stood out". The work from it is absolutely stunning.

- A stunning plate created during the Movement.



  • The 'Bauhaus School' - a German Art School that was built before WWII, and it bought together every sort of "art person" (designers, writers, etc.) However, in the lead up to WWII, it was turned into a Nazi training centre. I would have loved to have studied there!



    I also produced some discharge prints this week, as well as layering my stencils on top of each other, and photocopying them to make different types of patterns.
    This kind of explains it...



    I tried a technique of placing the patterned insides of envelopes underneath my stencils, and photocopying them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment