Friday, October 19, 2012

New York, New York!

So on Monday I looked at the photos I took on the Colchester town trip and found details in them that I could use for creating prints out of. For instance, this gate and house inspired me to create striped patterns...





And the "swirly thing" on this statue inspired me to create... Well... Swirls. :-P



I'd created art before that concentrated on particular details from photos, but hadn't tried making patterns from them. I rather like the results that I ended up with. However, when I was just beginning the task, I must admit, I didn't envisage any good results.

On the subject of prints, I also "worked into" my black ink and bleach prints this week, to add colour and "depth". I must admit that I was found of them in their "original state", but I suppose adding to them has definitely given them more "depth" and interest.

Now you're probably wondering the reason behind this post's title...? Well ladies and gentleman, I have been set the task of researching two fashion designers who showed their work at New York Fashion Week for spring/summer 2013. After much deliberation, I decided upon 'Ralph Lauren' (because I adore the elegance and vibrant colours of the collection)...



...and 'Alice + Olivia' (because of the vintage style and the prints used in the collection). I'm familiar with Ralph Lauren, but not Alice + Olivia.



A new technique I learnt today was "discharge printing" (you cut out a stencil of a pattern, place it onto fabric, put a "printing screen" over it all and then use a "squeegee" to coat the screen in the "discharge paste". After all this has been done, the printing screen is lifted off and the fabric is hung up to dry). Here's an awesome retro inspired example I found whilst exploring the interweb....



The discharge paste is a pretty disgusting and foul-smelling substance, but it's clever, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment